The Royal London Yacht Club was founded in London in 1838. Its first
meeting place was the Coal Hole Tavern in Fountain Court on the Strand .
Racing commenced on the Thames . It obtained its Royal Warrant from the
dowager Queen Adelaide in 1849. Now the Royal London Yacht Club has its
House located in the centre of Cowes waterfront, on a site that it has
occupied since 1882. The club has a long history in British yachting. Its
members have ranked among the most colourful personalities in the yachting
scene. It was the first popular yacht club to bring the sport to Cowes.
In its early days it fostered racing innovations and was instrumental in
establishing a universal set of rules and system of measurement. Concern
with the past is now balanced by an active and progressive membership with
interests in all forms of yachting and a very active social calendar.
Membership is limited to 500 members.